You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that supports POP, like Microsoft Outlook or Netscape Mail.
- To enable POP in Gmail:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
- Choose the action you'd like your Gmail messages to take after they are accessed with POP. Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.
To configure your client manually:
- Enable POP in your Gmail account. As above
- Open Outlook or Outlook Express.
- Click the 'Tools' menu, and select 'Accounts...
- Click 'Add,' and then click 'Mail...'
- Enter your name in the 'Display name:' field, and click 'Next.'
- Enter your full Gmail email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the 'Email address:' field, and click 'Next.'
- Enter 'pop.gmail.com' in the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:' field. Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' field.
- Click 'Next.'
- Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') in the 'Account name:' field. Enter your Gmail password in the 'Password:' field, and click 'Next.'
- Click 'Finish.'
- Highlight 'pop.gmail.com' under 'Account,' and click 'Properties.'
- Click the 'Advanced' tab.
- Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Outgoing Mail (SMTP).'
- Enter '465' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP):' field.
- Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Incoming mail (POP3).' The port will change to 995.
*The order of 'Outgoing' and 'Incoming' mail server fields varies by version. Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.
- Click the 'Servers' tab, and check the box next to 'My server requires authentication.'
- Click 'OK.'
Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and retrieve Gmail messages.
* Did you click 'Save Changes' after enabling POP in Gmail? To ensure that Gmail can communicate with your mail client, be sure to click 'Save Changes' on the 'Forwarding and POP' tab in your Gmail settings.